Friday, March 7, 2008

You make me feel like dancin

Speaking of not being a good dancer...
I decided it would be fun to do ballroom for our wedding dance. I thought a Fox Trot would be pretty simple and I selected "Moon Dance" by Van Morrison for our song. Turns out a girl I work with is a national champion ballroom dancer and she and her partner volunteered to help teach us.
Last night was our first lesson. Now Sam and I both expected to learn the basics and maybe one or two fun tricks... Not exactly what they taught us. They have this whole choreographed fancy dance that would put even Baby in a corner. I have mention prior how, despite years of training and practice, my dance skills are lacking; but who knew Sam's dance skills would surpass mine within two hours? He not only memorized his steps but mine as well. He would kindly tell me when I was stepping with the incorrect foot or if my turn was backwards. Funny, a little sad, and pretty embarrassing. After all it was only the first lesson. Sam knows the steps, I am hoping my technique will make up for my lack of memorization. I guess we'll see in 6 weeks.
Before we completed our first lesson I had the genius idea to video our instructors so we could practice this weekend. I taped it and went straight home to save it to my computer. Well I had a lot of miscellaneous things on the memory card so in my attempts to clear it out, I accidentally deleted the performance… So much for my bight idea. All in all it was a wonderful experience, it was fun to learn Sam's hidden talent (that man's mind is a steel trap) and it was great trying something new.

3 comments:

Tere said...

You two are adorable and your writing skills are entertaining! How fun to look forward to the new adventures in the Ashbys life! Maybe we will call him Fred Astair Ashby at some point. You might have changed the course of your lives, who knows!!!
Maybe he'll be known as Dr. Dance
Love, mom

Holley and Luke Burbank said...

Hello!! It's holley and lucas from last night. we are already blog stalking you. be afraid. anyway ours is holleyandlucas.blogspot.com

Ambyr said...

Darling. I can't wait to see you guys perform!