Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Not a sympathy ploy, I swear

While attending BYU Sam lived in a little place known as AG 11. Sam, Ashton, Nate (boo), and Paul shared 9 wonderful months living in the same house. These months were full of teriyaki chicken, spore infested basements, and after hours all male dance parties. Since the days of AG 11 most of the guys have gone their separate ways. Nate is finishing his masters at BYU in Chemistry and prepping for medical school at UH this Fall. Paul is attending dental school at USC. Ashton is about to begin his career as an investment banker with Credit Sweese, and you know where we’re at J. Well, last weekend the boys were back in town! Sam was so excited to have all his friends together for the whole weekend. Friday evening, we all went to dinner at a lovely Mexican restaurant. Apparently it is a Fjeldsted favorite, and it did not disappoint. We then went to the Fjeldsted’s home and played Cranium and had the best lemonade I have ever tasted. We made our plans to do some San Francisco sightseeing the following day, along with a trip to the Cal Academy, followed by a BBQ.
The next day we got up got all ready to go, and around 1pm we got a phone call from our friends saying they were down stairs waiting for us. (This is where it becomes all about me.) I sat down on the bed, put my shoes and socks on, stood up and felt the worst pain I have ever felt in my life shoot through my lower back. Had someone later told me I’d been struck by lightening, I’d have believed them. I screamed and screamed on the top of my lungs, you know the horror movie screams. Sam rushed over not knowing how to help, since I was then yelling at him not to touch me. I sat in the same position which was my body doubled over my bed, crying, while Sam rushed down stairs to inform our friends we’d sadly be sitting this trip out. After a
about twenty minutes Sam moved me to the bed, but I still couldn’t move myself. I couldn’t sit up, I couldn’t roll over, and I certainly couldn’t stand. By 6pm I had taken Ibuprofen, 2 Vicodin, and a Skelaxin and I still could not move an inch which is about when we decided it was time to go to the hospital.
The drive over was painful with every pot hole and speed bump but I made it without shedding anymore tears. When we got to the ER we thought it was our lucky night. There were only 2 patients there and they didn’t look very serious. We checked in and waited, and waited, and waited. After about an hour and a half we were called in to the back where again we waited and waited and waited. Turns out the Doc forgot about us L. The exam was really painful, he lifted my legs which KILLED and pressed on my lower back which of course was really painful as well. He then gave me a shot of dilloted (which is REALLY strong) and miraculously I could walk again. So 5 hours later we went home and all was, better. I am still working on healing my back. That was the 4th time in 4 weeks I have had a back spasm and I really don’t want to have another one, ever. I worked from home for a few days but now I am working in the office again.

3 comments:

Tam Tam said...

That sounds bad. I hope it doesn't happen again.

A while back I had gotten a horrible neck spasm. I had to like keep my neck in this bent position or else it would hurt.

Weird spasms like that are not fun! At least you could still work from home so that's nice!

Nicole said...

You may not be looking for sympathy but you got mine. That all sounds terrible and hearing about your yelling at Sam not to touch you and about your drive to the hospital feeling every extra bump and swerve sounds like me when going into labor. Good news is I don't think the pain caused by childbirth will be a big shock to you. (meager, sympatheic smile) Pain sucks!

Tere said...

Oh Heddy, your going to really have to baby it for MONTHS!!! and I do mean MONTHS!!! It will be worth it. Just keep your focus on getting your back healthy so you can carry and enjoy pregnancy as well as picking up your babies and playing with them! Its all worth it...love you