Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Low Down


As you may know I work for PetSmart. Sam likes to tell people I am a canary trainer, I wish! My official title is Senior Replenishment Analyst. I have been working in Distribution most of my professional career but it's much different at PetSmart, in a good way.
There is a lot more responsibility, because basically it is you and a merchant making inventory decisions. It keeps me really busy which is exactly what I need, otherwise I get really bored and eventually frustrated. I'll spare you the details but I thought I would mention how much I love my job. PetSmart is a great place to work. It has a positive work environment, it's professional, the work ethic is very strong, they have training available, and everyone is really nice. I would honestly feel blessed to have any job, but I feel overwhelmed with gratitude to have such an amazing situation. PetSmart is about 4 miles from our apartment, my commute has never taken longer than 12 minutes, and that is during really bad traffic.
Here are a few fun facts and observations I've noted during my first 6 weeks:
People hold the door open for you 100% of the time.
Employees bring their pets to work every Fridays. It's actually really funny.
The elevator says "going up" and "4th floor" in a woman's voice with a British accent.
There's a gym in the building, and it's brand new and really nice.
You cannot access facebook from your computer.
People talk about work 99% of the time while at work, very different than all of my other jobs.
Everyone is married.
Most employees have been at PetSmart for +3 years and no one leaves by choice (not that people get fired a lot it's just that only 1 person has left since I have been there and he was let go and apparently people know how good they have it so they stick around).
Everyone drinks "pop" (soda) all of the time.
Working hours are 7am to 4pm. If you work too much your boss will tell you to stop over doing it.
People love happy hour, they go once or twice a week... Of course since I don't drink I don't go.
Directors work with you to make sure you feel supported, managers do this of course but I have never seen directors so involved with the day to day.
They have a childcare center in the building... Maybe someday I'll need it.
Everyone has a tan, or a sunburn.
PetSmart really does love animals, it is not just for show. Most employees give 1% of their paycheck to the PetSmart Charities which is primarily animal rescue. No joke.
Quarterly PetSmart holds team building events.

PetSmart is a great place to work. If you move to Phoenix and you need a job let me know.

4 comments:

Ambyr said...

I love you. I can't believe you don't live here anymore. I know you are on to bigger and better things. And I'm so glad you love your job. But...I miss you sis. xo

Heather said...

I must admit- Petsmart is one of my favorite places to go! It's so fun and the employees and customers are friendly 100% of the time! Wanda love it too! You're doing a great job, Heather!

P.S. can you train my canary? jk

kc said...

MAYBE someday you'll need it? Come on now, where's that positive thinking?

The Palmers said...

That's some good stuff. So, what pet are you getting to fit in??