Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sleepy Baby

To get James to sleep each night and for each nap I sit on an exercise ball and hold him and bounce him until he falls asleep. Usually it would take about five minutes. On tough days more like 25 minutes. Lately, it wasn't working at all. I would bounce for an hour, hand off to Sam who would bounce as long as he could stand it, and the kiddo would not fall asleep. When James and I went to LA a couple weeks ago it was just the 2 of us in a big bed and James slept through the entire night for the first time in his life; he was ready to have his own space. The 2 factors combined lead to one answer that I have not wanted to face: I have to sleep train him :(

And last night, James slept in his crib the entire night!! It was hard for baby, harder for mama. I would have snuggled him all night until he was in high school. But Sam, in his wisdom, informed me 8 months and 1 week was long enough and that it was time to transition the baby bird out of the nest. None of us have been sleeping well for the past few weeks.

Taken at 6 AM this morning:

Irrationally, I was scared James wouldn't like me anymore. But he was still his sweet snuggly lovey self when he woke up at 7AM:


2 comments:

Rich and Erin said...

We bounce Zeke on a workout ball too, he loves it! I know what you mean, I love snuggling too, but I'm sure this will make everyone happier in the long run. Hang in there!

Tere said...

Yeay for Heather and for James!! Good job Mama!! :)