Sunday, June 22, 2008

It's all Gravy

So I have been trying for so long to make a tasty white gravy. I have asked every cook I know how they do it. I watch the food network (converted by Christie), I read cookbooks, but I have never been able to master the art of gravy making. Last week I made an attempt and it came out tasting like flour and it was super lumpy.
So today I decided to give it another go so I called my Granny who is an excellent cook. She is one of those grandmothers who makes everything from scratch, grinds her own wheat, and never measures anything, so who better to learn from? I had her explain the process to me in detail and then I kept her on the phone while I cooked and what do you know, it turned out perfectly! Here is how I did it:

Keep all of the chicken grease in the pan from the cooked chicken(assuming you made chicken).
Add about a tablespoon of butter, and make a rue by heating the butter to a strong simmer, then adding enough flour to absorb the butter/oil mix, and stirring vigorously over med/high heat.
Remove the pan from heat for 1-2 minutes.
Add a splash of milk and mix well with a fork.
Return to heat.
Add a little more milk and stir again until mixed well.
Continue to add milk until you get the correct consistency you are looking for.
If you make it a bit too runny, stir on med/high heat until it thickens up.

YUM Thanks Granny!

2 comments:

The Vests said...

hey, thanks for the tip. Yes, lets get together this week. Shane's phone is broken, so his sim card is in my phone for work calls. He is in Denver so I have NO phone. So, just come by whenever you want, he also took the car to the airport, I should be here. If the stroller is gone I'm just on a walk, shouldn't be long. Have you started that job yet?

Ambyr said...

Ooooo...thanks for writing it down! I'm so going to try this soon. Mmmm...Granny Gravy. Love it.