Saturday, March 21, 2009

...and just like the movies, we'll play out our last sceen

I was chatting with my father the other day when he wished me a happy Friday the 13th. I quickly told him I was not a fan of the day, as it reminded me of the the Friday the 13th when I was 8 years old. I'd taken my late great grandmother's necklace to school for show-and-tell. It was a rather long necklace and while riding home on my sister's banana seat bike I leaned down and then sat up and the necklace got caught under the seat and broke all over the middle of the street. Ambyr and I tried to pick up the scattered jewelery but as the pieces were in the middle of the street it wasn't long before cars came along and crushed anything that may have been salvageable.
My dad said he'd completely forgotten all about that, but asked if I could somehow find a little humor in it? He said replace 8 year old Heather with some generic actress and think of the story again, wasn't it a little amusing? And I did just that, and you know he was right; It was pretty funny. He then suggested I try the same exercise in various situations in my current life. And you know something, I think it is pretty great advice, so great I wanted to pass it along. I have been trying this the last little while and I have found that although it allows me to have a fresh perspective, it is really tough to follow the advice I am shouting at the main character (me). Anyway we still don't have the internet so I have to post when I can.

1 comment:

The Vests said...

I love the fresh new perspective! Thanks Head, and Mr. Steadman.