Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sweeping your own porch

Let me preface this by saying I hope this comes of as humorous because I think it’s pretty funny.
A while back I was having breakfast with my family at a cute breakfast place in Burlingame. I ordered the Raspberry Crepe. It sounded so yummy and I was really looking forward to it. About 10 minutes later everyone received their breakfast except me. The waitress then came over to me and said, “we are all out of Raspberry sauce so what can I get you instead?” I then repeated “oh, you are out of Raspberry sauce hm…” with a bit of disappointment to my tone, to which she replied, “Yes, it’s probably for the best, you don’t need the sugar anyway.”
I thought it was really inappropriate but at the same time really funny; things like this happen to me all the time. People parent me everywhere I go.
The other day I was on the phone in my car without a Bluetooth which, in the great state of California, is illegal (no excuses I know better). When I came to a stop light, still chatting on my phone, and all of the sudden the man in the car in front of me throws his car into park, gets out of his car and walks up to my window and motions for me to roll my window down. He then yells at me, “IT IS ILLEGAL FOR YOU TO BE ON YOUR PHONE WHILE DRIVING”. To which I calmly replied, “it is also illegal to vacate your vehicle in the road while driving”. From the look on his face, this was the last response this man expected. Flustered he then yells, “NO IT ISN’T.” I smiled and rolled my window up and then quickly got off of the phone. And yes, it is illegal to exit your car while driving which probably went into effect around the time Chinese Fire Drills were gaining popularity.
My reason for this post is to share with you my mother’s saying which I love and try to live by, “Sweep Your Own Porch.” My mom has several pearls of wisdom but this one pops into my head most often. Thanks mom.

3 comments:

Jos and Kath said...

Seriously, how do you meet such freekishly bizarre people????? haha. I love how little of an idea people have of your amazing ability to stand up for yourself. :0) haha. This is a hilarious post!! People are nuts. (us included I guess huh?)

The Vests said...

HA! That is Hilerious! I can totally see it happening exactly how you described it, to only you of course. I love the new saying, one of my favorites from you, or maybe it's from your mom, "It all comes out in the wash" I use it all the time. Thanks for the addition.

The Palmers said...

you know i love those stories. it makes me miss you and the cumulative sass we had together.