Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pianoman- er Woman

It’s difficult to express how I feel about music. I don’t want to trivialize my feelings by saying it’s an obsession, and it isn’t in the same realm as love...
Music understands how I feel. I can always find the perfect melody to cheer me up. I can be walking along minding my own business when I hear a familiar song from back when and immediately all of these emotions surface. I can usually name the artists featured on the radio, movies, and television shows, and if I can’t, I’ll go look it up. I listen to entire CD’s, and feel that if I can’t listen to 10 of 12 songs it isn’t worth buying. Most mornings I wake with a song in my head. I sing all of the time, to the chagrin of those within earshot. When I meet someone else who has a similar appreciation for music, I have an instant friend. I love all genres . Music is a big part of who I am, and if you know me well, you already know this.
That being said, I have never played a musical instrument. I sound terrible when I try to sing. I’ve never been able to read a note to save my life. When someone would learn about my passion for music the first question they’d ask is, do you play an instrument? My reply would always been along the lines of, I am a music appreciator but I don’t have that kind of talent.
As of 6 weeks ago I started to take piano lessons! I love it. I can read music, I can play songs (really basic easy ones, but recognizable tunes non the less)
My teacher, Trudy, is the sweetest woman I have ever met. She is kind, encouraging, and very musically talented. In exchange for these piano lessons, Sam tutors Trudy in Spanish. It’s a great situation and I am really enjoying getting to know music in a different way. So for those of you out there who want to learn the piano, I say now is the time! Learn it. It is easier than you think. All it takes is a bit of interest and most importantly : PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

2 comments:

The Palmers said...

how exciting!! i'm happy for you. let me know how it goes...then record a piece and send it to me!

The Vests said...

Good for you! What a great trade off. I am so sad to report we will NOT be in Utah the end of April, to see you. Please tell me your exact dates, though to make sure.