Thursday, July 1, 2010

A few thoughts on the name game

I’m happy we are having a little boy. I always pictured having 3 boys, and then having 2 girls. Obviously, it isn’t my choice and I will love my kiddos in whatever gender order they come to me in but that’s how I imagine it.
My main concern about having a baby boy is what to name him.
-My very favorite boy name in the entire world is Asher. I love it. I picture this little blonde/tan baby boy running around on the beach. I would absolutely name my baby Asher, if my last name weren’t Ashby… Sadly, they just do not work together.
-Before I knew the gender, I was set on naming him Michael. It’s strong, related to the gospel, and in my opinion very beautiful. But as time has gone on I learned it has been the #1 most popular name (not year over year but decade over decade) forever; or at least since the social security bureau has been keeping track. I don’t want him to be 1 of 3 Michael’s in his class, so I am rethinking things.
-As I have come to think about it more and more, I realize that there are about a handful of boy’s names that you hear (in some variation or another) repeatedly. Michael, Matthew, Christopher, Robert, Richard, David, James, Steven, Craig, Kevin, Bradley, Daniel, Ryan, Benjamin, William, Jonathan, and Nathan. I like all of these names but I don’t want to use the same name you hear over and over again.
-I’d love to go for something unique but Sam would never agree. I names like Weston, Keller, Donovan, Finn, Enzo, Tosh, Atlas, ect… Sam isn’t into them.
-Sam really wants to name him Robert and although I like the name, I don’t want to use it and I do have my reasons.
-I like the name Joshua, but Sam doesn’t care for it.
-I would love to name him Sam Jr, but Sam won’t go for that either.
-I like Donovan, Sam doesn’t.
-We both like Chase, but Sam says “I like it, but not to name my child”.
-Sam likes Daniel, it’s a nice name but I am not into it.
-Luke is already taken (by Ambyr’s son), but I would use it if I could.
-I like Bradley but it doesn’t go well with Ashby and Sam doesn’t like it.
-We both LOVED the name Henry but that is now taken (by Sam’s sister’s son).
-There are too many men named Ken in my family so that’s out.
-If I were to name him Steadman, everyone would reply, “Oh like Oprah’s boyfriend”. No thank you.
-I like the name Ryan but I don’t like that it is becoming androgynous.

-In short I have no idea what to name my child. I’m open to suggestion.

4 comments:

Jeff and Eliza said...

I totally want to name my boy Asher and I know you're thinking of the exact same cutest baby I am - Hanneman. And I have a nephew named Chase who is the cutest little blonde/tan boy ever. But my dog is also named Chase. So.... I don't know.

Valerie said...

Picking a boy name is seriously so hard! We had a few that we were considering and in the end we went with family names. So I guess that's my suggestion, choose a name that's meaningful to you and Sam. Good luck! :)

sarawhat said...

Warner Ashby. Perfect. You're welcome. :)

hachtmans.blogspot.com said...

Well I like Henry and I could see you with an Edward Ashby. That is a strong name, and you could call him Ed for short or Ted Ashby. Sounds like a tall heartthrob if you ask me.