Monday, July 26, 2010

Grandfather


My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago... I haven't lost anyone since I was a child, and because we grew up just a short drive away from their house, my grandfather has always been a big part of my life.
My grandfather stood in the the circle when I was given a name, he was a witness at my baptism, he placed his hands upon my head and gave me the gift of the holy ghost, he was there the first time I went through the temple, and he was a witness when Sam and I were sealed for eternity. In every important day in my life, he has been there with me. He is the one who gave me father's blessings, blessings of comfort, and blessings of health. I was always very grateful he was a righteous priesthood holder and that he was always willing to share it with me to bless my life.
I can honestly say my grandfather never uttered a single cross word to me. He was always positive, uplifting and patient with me. I'd go to church with he and my granny some Sundays, I would spend days at their house, and I would often come for family home evening to listen to the message, and hear my grandfather sing and play guitar.
As a child when he would greet me he would always say "Heady bum betty, to the eather go sketti. Bow legged, bull legged, bow legged Heady." I know it seems silly but it made me feel special, and it showed me he loves me. I miss him very much.
Here are a few photos of the funeral:







2 comments:

hachtmans.blogspot.com said...

Oh Heather, I love your Grandpa and I only met him once. So glad you had his example in your life, and will be able to see him again some day. He sure is a cutie, I hope your baby gets some of his genes.

Brooke said...

Your grandpa is so cute! I'm sorry, it's no fun to do the funeral thing.