Friday, July 30, 2010

Opinions

I am a pretty opinionated person, not as much as some but probably more than most.

One thing I have noticed is pregnancy brings out the opinion sharing in people. Strangers/acquaintances love telling you their perception of your size and your rate of growth. I find it hilarious (and of course a bit irritating but it seems like EVERYTHING irritates me these days:)).

I had a meeting with a vendor today who has known about my pregnancy since 12 weeks. She has 2 of her own children who are now grown. She asked how the pregnancy is coming, I let her know all is well and I am really enjoying it. Then I told her I am about to begin my 3rd trimester. She very quickly corrected me and said, you mean your 1st trimester. I was really confused and restated that I was about to begin my 3rd. She insisted I was mistaken. Not exactly sure how to reply, I said well next week I hit my 6 month mark so... To which she replied with an unrecognizable mumble which may have mentioned that she thought I was saying I was ending my third trimester or something. Do people not think I know where I am at in my pregnancy?

A woman I sit by at work (a woman who doesn't have children yet) informed me, I am small now, but 3 weeks before I deliver I will swell up and look enormous. Thanks sweetheart, how lovely a thought... However true it may be.

A different vendor of mine who has 5 year old twins told me I am going to have a big baby. Apparently I look large in her opinion. In my opinion I look just as I should but whatever.

Luckily my husband (the only opinion that actually matters) gives his opinion only when asked, and always insists I look perfect:) He always knows just what to say...


5 comments:

Kath said...

currently expecting again myself.. and I have a woman aversion. It seems they are the most annoying people to be around all of a sudden haha.

I am hiding out so that I don't lose any friends. :)

p.s. why are the women the ones that always say the stupidest things?! answer: because men are too scared to say anything and simply remain silent. We should all learn from them haha.

Kristina said...

I agree with your friend Kathryn. Women are so dumb. Perfect things to say, "you look so tiny," "wow, you've got that pregnancy glow, you look beautiful" ... and that may be just about it.

Not things like, "wow, you've really popped" or "now you really look pregnant" or "you look way more pregnant this week than last week."

I think you look beautiful and definitely small! I hope you continue to feel great... and I disagree with your co-worker, I only swelled up the day or so before I had my little guy (not three weeks ahead of time). Keep up the positive attitude!

kimberlee shaffer said...

I get irritated with stuff like that too. You look perfect if you ask me! (not to express my opinion or anything (=

K+C=M+K said...

Oh heather, I was laughing my head off at your post! I hear ya girl! You have to train yourself not to listen to nearly everything you hear! Some people are very opinionated, huh?! You look wonderful, you are perfect sized and you might not swell up at all! I didn't swell until they hooked me up to the IV during labor! Another thing- don't listen to people's horror stories about birth and delivery- you could push twice and have the easiest birth ever! I'm routing for you girl- you're doing great!! and you're entitled to being moody and irritated with everything:)

Catherine said...

i remember getting endless amounts of opinions, birth stories (spare me) and advice with my first. I vowed that I'd NEVER do that to anyone who is pregnant... of course, I've failed, b/c it's just so fun to tell your birth story. I'll work on it. I agree though, how on earth does ANYONE know what's going to happen to YOU when EVERY pregnancy is different...gag!
And, ya, I'm jealous of how seriously beautiful you are as a prego lady, I envy you! If only!