Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Grandpa Enger

While listening to the eulogy, the talks, and the memories shared by the speakers at Tuesday's funeral service, I sat there feeling very sad I didn't know the man they spoke of. When I first met Grandpa Enger in 2006, family had just begun to notice the signs of his deteriorating health, which proved to be but a beginning of his battle with his health issues which followed him through the rest of his life. As such, I feel like I never really got to know his true personality; and after listening to the amazing things his children and grandchildren had to say about him, I feel like I really missed out. I wanted to list a few of things said that really stuck out to me about this great man:

-Self taught to play the piano, by ear
-An amazing mechanic who was heavily relied upon to fix cars for the family. 3 grandchildren spoke, all mentioned how many times he'd switch cars with them, and spend as much time and effort necessary to get their cars running again.
-He was an artist who painted well and painted often. He would give his paintings to family members as gifts.
-He served as a bishop twice in his life, and was beloved by his congregations.
-He took his grandchildren on camping trips in their motor home each year, and taught each of them how to fish.
-He was a generous and thoughtful man, one grandchild had a sensitive stomach and would often become car sick, so Grandpa Enger would pack ginger snaps and ginger ale for her, to help keep her tummy calm.
-He would have the grand kids over for sleepovers and would pile all of them onto the upstairs deck outside and set up a telescope and show the stars and planets to the grand kids to teach them about Astronomy.

In summary Robert Enger was an amazing man, loved by all who knew him... I wish I had known him.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

What a cute grandpa! I'm glad you guys got to go to the funeral. Alzheimer's is such a sad disease. I'll bet you get to meet him some day :)

Ambyr said...

What a sweet post on what sounds like a very interesting man! Very inspiring. Makes me think about the kind of Grandma I'd like to be remembered as. Love you!