Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Only one way out...

I've been thinking about having a baby lately. Not having one here in the house but the actual act of having a baby. It scares me. A lot. I get that women have been birthing babies forever and the way we do it now is cake compared to our fore-mothers. But it's still scary to think about.
I'm really relieved Sam, Ambyr, and my Mom will be there for me because I'll sure need them. It seems like the closer my due date, the more real it becomes. I was lucky enough to be there for my nephew Luke's birth so I have an idea of what to expect; But I am more than aware that actually being the one in labor, having the baby, will be a completely different experience.
To calm my nerves I am working on a playlist for the big day. Sadly there aren't many mother-son songs but there are plenty of others, namely Justin Bieber's "Baby, Baby, Baby". Don't judge. I am sure there will be plenty of Beatles, Beach Boys, Elton John, Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, etc... on there so we'll balance the auto-toned pop music out with real talent.

I am sure I have posted the photo below on my blog before but this photo captures the very moment I realized I wanted to become a mom and it makes me really excited for my little man to be here to kiss and cuddle.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I am so glad Justin Beiber made the playlist! Too bad Luke won't be there to sing it to you. ;)

Rich and Erin said...

Funny that you wrote about your fears because I felt the exact same way a few weeks ago when thinking about pushing the baby out. Like you said, women have been doing it for years, but I still felt like it was just impossible. I was all about getting the drugs. RIchie said he wanted me to do it natural and I told him he was crazy. But then I read a book on birthing called "Your Best Birth" (which is totally biased against hospitals and drugs and very pro-midwifery and natural births) but it really helped me and now I am all pumped on trying to do it natural with NO drugs! And I don't get scared anymore when I think about actually having the baby. I may change my tune as my due date get closer and I again realize where this baby has to come out of and how much that will hurt, but I'm gonna try to stick to that plan. And I too have been thinking of songs that I want on my "birth playlist". I think music will help calm and distract.

Anyways, hope everything goes well with your birth experience and it goes according to your plan! Glad we got to reconnect through this whole blogging thing!

And yeah I'm pregnant too! Probably should have started off with that. Due Feb. 25th.

Brittany Sorensen said...

I was terrified too when I was about 6 or 7 months pregnant with Jack...suddenly I realized, "Crap! This kid has to come out of me...soon!" It was really scary to think about. But, don't worry. It is scary and I think there is no way around it, but when I got those first contractions, I was ready for the hospital. Getting that kid outta me was all I wanted to do. I wasn't scared anymore. I just wanted to stop having contractions. (And I wanted an epidural.) Once I got the epidural and I stopped hurting, I felt great! I was excited. I guess you could kind of say that labor and delivery was like going to the doctor when you have to get a shot. You sit there in the waiting room for what feels like an eternity, and the shot just gets more and more terrifying the longer you wait. But when you actually get the shot, it really doesn't hurt like you thought it would, and it's over before you know it, and you are thinking, "That's it?" Hopefully you have a smooth delivery and you will be able to look back on now and laugh a little. :]

Jeff and Eliza said...

I know everyone's experience is different but if it makes you feel better, mine was easy! Nothing to be scared of. I had absolutely no expectations and yeah it hurt a little before I got the epidural, but after I got it - Nada. I couldn't feel anything. And I thought is was a really cool experience and am excited to do it again. It was the not getting sleep for the next 4 months that was the real killer. So good luck! You have to do it whether you want to or not! Ha!